Thursday, April 11, 2019

Letter Home 2- Stephen Taylor

Dear Larry and Sara,

So much has happened since my last letter. I've seen many horrors. We had our first battle recently, and I won't forget it until the day I die. The soldiers marched in with such extravagance. It was truly a sight to see. At first, it seemed that our victory was assured. The rebels were nothing against the might of the Union army. Civilians even stayed and watched, putting out blankets and eating picnics. Then, the world turned upside down. The rebels suddenly struck back, fiercely and almost insanely, whooping like banshees as they cut down our forces. It was absolute chaos. Civilians and soldiers alike were killed as they tried to flee. There were so many injured men. I will never forget the screams of those in the hospital tent as I cut off their injured limbs, begging for the pain to stop, begging to die. So much blood poured over me, I haven't felt clean since. For the first time, I truly grasp the idea that I might not get home alive.         
                             
                                                                                                                           Sincerely,
                                                                                                                           Stephen Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment

A letter home

Dear Emily,              The union has gained more land and are doing amazing in the war, this might actually me my last letter to you beca...