Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Letter Home/Blog Post #5 - Nelson McCook

Dear Mary,

I can't stress to you enough about how exited I am that war is finally over. Lee's troops have finally surrendered and we have finally been able to capture their capital. It has been so long ago since the war had barely begun but it feels like It was just yesterday I was signing up to become a soldier. It has been a long and painful war, were I have made many sacrifices to achieve victory, but also were I have made memories, good and bad. I still can't get over the thought of all the people I have seen die for our nation, whether it was one of my friends, comrades, or somebody I had never even spoken to. I can finally come home to see you, and rest, thinking that slavery is finally abolished and that the union is whole once more. Hope to come home soon.

                                                                                       Sincerely, your husband
                                                                                                         - Nelson McCook
                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment

A letter home

Dear Emily,              The union has gained more land and are doing amazing in the war, this might actually me my last letter to you beca...